Seems like my Spark PRO bricked itself

jmmultex

From Browser To Broadcast
Hi Everyone - Looking for suggestions on possible ways to reset a Spark PRO.

The Setup: The Spark Pro is mounted on a C-Stand connected to a camera via HDMI and connected to a Unifi 24 Port (250W) PoE+ Switch. This was running fine for the past year, and no configuration changes were made to the unit. It has excellent ventilation in an air conditioned space.

What Happened/Steps Taken:

- I stopped seeing it in Studio Monitor, but saw my other NDI Cameras/Sources. This is using the latest version of NDI Tools on a i5 Intel NUC with Windows 10. The only thing this computer runs is Studio Monitor
- Since NDI can sometime be fickle about showing up, I reset the computer and unplugged/replugged the Spark PRO into the network. Still couldn't see it.
- I moved the Spark PRO to another Unifi PoE+ switch and tried connecting with another Windows 10 computer (with latest NDI Tools). Still couldn't see it.
- I then attempted to reset the unit using the RESET button on the side. I pressed it until the light started flashing, then pressed it again. Per the manual, this should initiate a factory reset. That didn't seem to do anything. I tried doing this multiple times with various timing on when I did the second 'reset' press, but none of the attempts seemed to work.
- Checking the Unifi controller showed a PoE+ device was plugged in but showed no associated IP Address (or any device information)
- I tried to see the unit using WireShark to see if it is making a network connection, but couldn't find it. (My network engineer isn't here, so I could be doing something wrong on this one - please don't weigh this as absolute)

Since I can't see the unit in Studio Monitor, I can't get in to play with any settings. I also wasn't able to get the reset to work. I know there is a USB-C plug that is documented as being only for non-PoE power, but was curious if this might also provide a mechanism to re-flash the unit with an external utility.

Observing the Spark PRO itself, the Newtek logo on the face is flashing very dimly. When the reset button is pressed it stops flashing but remains dimly lit, then starts flashing again when it is released. The usual Tally lights I see when starting the unit do not show up at all. The Ethernet port is illuminated with green speed/connection lights - one flashing as if trying to initiate a connection or send data.

Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong - or potential steps to take that I haven't done - to reset this would be really appreciated.

Best,
John

This is a long shot, but I have my Spark Pro get hit by a power outage and for some reason it got reset with a different IP that wasn't anywhere close to my subnet.

I only figured it out because the mDNS still appeared in the API of the TriCaster. It might appear in NDI Analysis, but I'm not sure.

Of you want to try, type this into a web browser, use the IP address of your TriCaster in the URL. It will return from the API all NDI sources that have reported on the network, along with their IP address.
Code:
http://192.168.1.78/v1/dictionary?key=ndi_sources

Once I got 'wild' IP address of the Spark, I was able to set my laptop into that range and log into it and reset it back.

Otherwise, I would contact support.

Hi Kane - Thanks for this suggestion. I gave it a try but still no luck. Since the Spark PRO is a couple of years old, is it worth sending in to be fixed or should I just consider it a loss and move on?

I really appreciate your suggestion.

Best,
John

Hi Everyone - Looking for suggestions on possible ways to reset a Spark PRO.

The Setup: The Spark Pro is mounted on a C-Stand connected to a camera via HDMI and connected to a Unifi 24 Port (250W) PoE+ Switch. This was running fine for the past year, and no configuration changes were made to the unit. It has excellent ventilation in an air conditioned space.

What Happened/Steps Taken:

- I stopped seeing it in Studio Monitor, but saw my other NDI Cameras/Sources. This is using the latest version of NDI Tools on a i5 Intel NUC with Windows 10. The only thing this computer runs is Studio Monitor
- Since NDI can sometime be fickle about showing up, I reset the computer and unplugged/replugged the Spark PRO into the network. Still couldn't see it.
- I moved the Spark PRO to another Unifi PoE+ switch and tried connecting with another Windows 10 computer (with latest NDI Tools). Still couldn't see it.
- I then attempted to reset the unit using the RESET button on the side. I pressed it until the light started flashing, then pressed it again. Per the manual, this should initiate a factory reset. That didn't seem to do anything. I tried doing this multiple times with various timing on when I did the second 'reset' press, but none of the attempts seemed to work.
- Checking the Unifi controller showed a PoE+ device was plugged in but showed no associated IP Address (or any device information)
- I tried to see the unit using WireShark to see if it is making a network connection, but couldn't find it. (My network engineer isn't here, so I could be doing something wrong on this one - please don't weigh this as absolute)

Since I can't see the unit in Studio Monitor, I can't get in to play with any settings. I also wasn't able to get the reset to work. I know there is a USB-C plug that is documented as being only for non-PoE power, but was curious if this might also provide a mechanism to re-flash the unit with an external utility.

Observing the Spark PRO itself, the Newtek logo on the face is flashing very dimly. When the reset button is pressed it stops flashing but remains dimly lit, then starts flashing again when it is released. The usual Tally lights I see when starting the unit do not show up at all. The Ethernet port is illuminated with green speed/connection lights - one flashing as if trying to initiate a connection or send data.

Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong - or potential steps to take that I haven't done - to reset this would be really appreciated.

Best,
John
Were you able to fix it? Do you have any updates on the issue because I have the same problem with the NDI Connect Spark PRO 4k. Plus I do not have any sophisticated hardware to test anything and fix it.
Thank you

The Spark Pro and Spark Plus 4K are completely different hardware units, I wouldn't take what happens with one to be the same as what could happen with the other.

The first thing I'd try is the failsafe address. All Spark Plus units should respond to 192.168.100.168, if you direct connect the Spark to a computer and set the computer to a static IP address in the range, see if that gets you access.

Otherwise, I'd try the reset hole on the Spark unit. Use a paperclip to press this in while you power up the unit, I think you need to hold it in for at least 5 seconds during the power up process to perform a reset.

If that doesn't help, contact NewTek support.

The Spark Pro and Spark Plus 4K are completely different hardware units, I wouldn't take what happens with one to be the same as what could happen with the other.

The first thing I'd try is the failsafe address. All Spark Plus units should respond to 192.168.100.168, if you direct connect the Spark to a computer and set the computer to a static IP address in the range, see if that gets you access.

Otherwise, I'd try the reset hole on the Spark unit. Use a paperclip to press this in while you power up the unit, I think you need to hold it in for at least 5 seconds during the power up process to perform a reset.

If that doesn't help, contact NewTek support.
Kane Peterson,

Thank you for your suggestions I already tried them all and nothing is happening. Also in the network connectios when the Spark Pro 4K is connected wired to the PC directly to setup the IP address manually. The network is trying to identify the Spark Pro but after a few mins the report of the connection reports "Unidentified network." Plus, I already contacted tech support even though I do not have a premium NewTek support.

Thank you for reaching out.IMG_5510.JPG Mistake: right is left (static ) and left is the right (blinking).

The network is trying to identify the Spark Pro but after a few mins the report of the connection reports "Unidentified network."
If you direct connect the Spark to a computer's NIC, the 'Unidentified network' message is normal. A network is identified by a router, since this is direct connect there is no router and the network will be labeled as unidentified. This doesn't mean that the network doesn't work (just that Windows can't find a way to the internet.)

So even with this message, set the computer NIC to 192.168.100.1 and see if you can access the Spark Pro at 192.168.100.168.

If you direct connect the Spark to a computer's NIC, the 'Unidentified network' message is normal. A network is identified by a router, since this is direct connect there is no router and the network will be labeled as unidentified. This doesn't mean that the network doesn't work (just that Windows can't find a way to the internet.)

So even with this message, set the computer NIC to 192.168.100.1 and see if you can access the Spark Pro at 192.168.100.168.
Kanep,

I like to report that the steps provided to fix the encoder did NOT work. I appreciate the many tips but I do NOT what happed to the NDI.
I am still looking on the web for possible troubleshoots that my resolve the issue.

Thank you!

Back