Escaping percent sign "%" in graphic's text

liveClick

Hi, I know that "%" is meant to be used with DataLink in the format of "%key%". However, sometimes I need to write a lower third with statistics, so it has to have the character "%" next to numbers like for example: "15%".

If I only write "%" once, there will be no problem and the whole text will appear, but if the text has "%" twice, the text between the percentage signs will not be shown, probably because Tricaster thinks that is a custom, unassigned, DataLink key-value pair, that's my guess.

So, is there a way to escape the percent sign? The backslash doesn't work, I tried ;)

Hi, thanks for your reply. To make it clear for other users, if the text were to be something like "Gas prices will decrease 10% but taxes will rise up to 15%", the text surrounded by "%" will not appear on air (even though you can see it when editing the graphic).

After doing some testing, my suggestion to other Tricaster users is to simply create a custom DataLink tag called "ps" (short for percentage sign) with the value of "%".
Every time you would need to type the character "%" you would write instead the custom key "%ps%". Given the example above, the text would be "Gas prices will decrease 10%ps% but taxes will rise up to 15%ps%.

I consider this to be the easiest and simplest approach to solve the "issue".

It's it easier to type %%? Then you don't have to make a DataLink key in advance, and it is less to type. Unless there is another aspect to this workflow.

Last edited:
Hi Kane, yeah you're right. In my case I just want to be very sure that nobody in my team considers %% to be a typo and tries to "fix" 🙃

Back