Connect Spark limiting HD signal to 720x576

Podcast Bob

I haven't used my Spark for a long time, so I am just coming back to it now to include it within my NDI set up.

However when I plug in a 1920x1080 camera into it (Canon) it is forcing the camera to limit its output to 720 and only giving me 720x576 on the NDI network!

I have upgraded the firmware and done a full reset and it is still performing the same way. I've changed the power unit from POE to the appropriate PSU and it is still the same.

Does anyone have any suggestions what to do force it to delivery HD?

Hi Podcast Bob,
What camera model are you using? And what output settings are you using?
Can you put a re-scaler (with 1080p as output set) in between the signal chain? How does the setup react?

One more idea: Is this the standard proxy resolution? Do you have a switcher/vision mixer inside the setup, to select the source as program - and "give" the spark the program NDI flag?

Thanks Chris.

So initially I was using a Canon XA series camera via the Spark into vMix with the above result ie 720.

So I changed the camera to a Sony Alpha series and connected the Spark to my Tricaster Mini AE and it was 1080HD.

I then tried the same into vMix and it remained 1080p. So I changed the camera to a Canon XF400 and once again it was perfect into both systems.

So it would appear that the early Prosumer Canons have something going on which is effecting the NDI signal. I found when using another NDI HX encoder from Zowietek that there was no issue from the XA Canon to either system. So maybe it is a conflict between early Canons and early Sparks.

Who knows but at least I have a useable result now. Many thanks

I have a Canon Vixia camera (consumer) that has similar issue. The reason has nothing to do with NDI, but with the HDMI connection between camera and Spark.

This camera doesn't allow you to force the output format, the resolution is automatically selected between the camera and the Spark. The Spark tells the camera it prefers a progressive signal type. The camera it can either output HD 1080i (interlaced) or standard definition 480p/576p (progressive). Since the Spark says it wants progressive, the camera will give it the SD progressive signal.

Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do, it's just how the outputs of these cameras work.

Once again Kane you prove you are a wealth of knowledge. I never knew that and just goes to show that an old dog can indeed learn new tricks. Many thanks

Back