How to create multi angle photoshop based virtual sets?

jcirque

Hello,

I am working on a student TV news broadcast, and I’m trying to create a custom virtual set.

I have made a desk in blender that I’ve taken 3 images from at different angles and I also have a flat image I want to use as the background.

How do I build this virtual set in photoshop before bringing it into VSE to add to tricaster?

I’d like to use have the bg image move with the changes between angles; when switching to the left camera angle I want to see the left side of the image and have it seem fixed in place.

Thanks, finding existing resources on how to do this has been challenging.

Here is a free class on how to use Virtual Set Editor (and many other graphic elements with TriCaster), there is a section on creating multi-angle sets.
NewTek University | NewTek Production Graphics (learnupon.com)
So this did clear up many things but I still have a few questions. I am gathering that for the photo background I need to get pictures of it at different angles to create the different angle options in Ps before brining into VSE.

Would it be best to maybe create a curved backdrop shape in blender that covers all the angles, and texture it with the magic gradient uv map? Then turn off the desk layer, take 3 images of the background gradient at different angles, then bring into photoshop, put the desk in front and rename the layer as input c = “background”

I’m hoping then in tricaster the image will map well to the gradient and sort of stay put even when changing angles.

or would you suggest another way? Let me know if you need more information about this specific project.

Thanks

If I understand correct, I believe it should be possible. The one aspect that might be of concern is that if you use the UV gradient to 'fill' and area that would be larger than HD. If you stretch it out too much, you will probably start to see the video pixels.

If I understand correct, I believe it should be possible. The one aspect that might be of concern is that if you use the UV gradient to 'fill' and area that would be larger than HD. If you stretch it out too much, you will probably start to see the video pixels.

So I tried that but the image was warped and distorted so I went with the simpler method of positioning the image within each M/E. However, the issue I’m running into now is that the keyed inputs have black backgrounds on top of the bg image. I suspect this has to do with what is discussed in the keyable layers in the VSE module, and I did label them with the keyword keyable in Ps.
So I’m not sure what could be causing that.

Ah, I had the bg layer set as a keyable layer in VSE! Ok thanks for all your help, I think I finally got it all working!

The easiest way would be to construct your set, say in Blender. Set up your camera angles and then render out each item separate for each angle.
Then in Photoshop, place each item in it's own layer, this gives you a lot of control. When adding the Magic Gradient, do that in Photoshop and make sure that your Photoshop file is at least 16-bit so you don't get any weirdness if you happen to distort the gradient.

Yeah that’s what I ended up doing, and I duplicated the talent magic gradient and used a clipping mask to have it only appear as a flipped version in the glass counter top for reflection.

thanks!!

Exactly. What I do is use that as a reflection and I place the surface layer that's beneath it, also of top of it with transparency so the reflection is not too strong.

If you don't have a 3D app, you can do quite a lot in After Effects with 3D cameras. It's a lot easier to add depth blur in AE, since there's no fooling around with z-depth in a 3D app (esp if you have a slow computer, the test rendering will be killer). You add a camera lens blur effect to an adjustment layer in AE and you get instant-ish feedback. However building an environment in AE using 3D layers isn't exactly the quickest 😒

Back