Auto switch inputs on a Tricaster

Good Morning Joe,

not quite clear to me what you mean here.
Something like what Switcher Express Mode does offer?
There are different ways in TC to get similar result.

Good morning Frank
Let’s say that we have five cameras coming into a TC inputs 1to 5 setup. All cameras are static without camera operators. We would like to switch between those cameras every 10 to 15 seconds automatically without a TC operator. Randomly possible? Never heard of switch Express mode 🤔 is that something built to a TC ?
Cheers

I see and understand now better what you´re looking for.

Well, Switcher Express just gives you 1 (instead od 2) Switcher row for easier / simpler access, if required.
1712909071097.png

I think you need to play around with the Macro module of TC to get this kind of automation.
Record your own user macro with the Auto/Take (s) of Input 1-5, and edit after the timing lines to what you would like in between and running always the same time until next switch.

The still open question will be how to loop these macro lines then again and again until you may want to stop it (not sure how to accomplish these steps within this your just new created user macro right now without further thinkings on my end)

Last edited:
The still open question will be how to loop these macro lines then again and again until you may want to stop it (not sure how to accomplish these steps within this your just new created user macro right now without further thinkings on my end)
I think this could be made with a macro in a macro.
Record your steps as by @FrankPW mentioned in a macro.
At the and, stop and record another step in the same macro. In this row select the last macro and "play" it (still recording),
That should do the "infinity macro job".

if you wanted truly random, you could write a little script that does a random number generator and then hits the URL of the TriCaster (with that input number specified) to tell it to cut to that camera. Page 69 of the "Automation and Integration Guide" goes over this cool information.

Camera 1 (substitute 'INPUT1' for other cameras):
http://{IP Address of TriCaster}/v1/shortcut?name=main_a_row_named_input&value=INPUT1

True "random" is tricky, as the Tricaster macro engine does not have random generator (usually productions tend to avoid "random" things) :D

But depending on the device you have I can suggest the following:
Create a manual macro of randomly punching in cameras between INPUT1-5. After the recording is done, open up for editing, and between the cameracuts on PGM, set the delay everywhere 10-15seconds (you can either calculate it in frame, or say 10000m as a delay, which is going to be 10000 ms = 10 sec).

Press Ok, close the macro, let's make sure it loops, and it's going to loop your previously created macro infinitely.

If you want true random, follow tveng's suggestion.

I want to add few things:
1. Our REST API uses digest access authentication, so you have to handle that in your program code (or remove the LivePanel password from the system)
2. If you want to do it more elegantly first you select a http://{IP Address of TriCaster}/v1/shortcut?name=main_b_row_named_input&value=INPUT{randomlygeneratednumber} and then do a "take" please http://{IP Address of TriCaster}/v1/shortcut?name=main_background_take

In this case you are selecting a cam on PVW, and then it does a take. Introduce a 1-2 frames of delay between the two commands.

Back