Using "Insert Image" when creating a virtual set with Photoshop.

KRU

What do I name the Photoshop layer to make the "Insert Image" layer work properly when my PSD file is opened in VSE?

Is it a layer name issue or something else?

I've watched all the Newtek videos, searched the web and these forums and can't find the answer anywhere!

Attachments

• Insert_Image_Question_smalll.png
    Insert_Image_Question_smalll.png
    267.4 KB · Views: 95
Is it a layer name issue ...
Probably? Here's what the VSE docs say about naming PSD layers (but maybe you're after something else).

Input Layers​

For VSE purposes, image layers in the PSD file serve one of two purposes. Either a layer contains graphic imagery that will be part of the composite result, or it is an “Input Layer”. Input layers are replaced by the video sources assigned in live production suite’s Virtual Input tab in the finished LiveSet. VSE identifies input layers in imported PSD files by their layer name. You can use the name to identify the layer as a proxy for Inputs A-D.

A layer with any of the following names will be replaced by Input A: "Input A", "InputA", or their lower case equivalents. When the PSD file is imported, input layers are listed in VSE’s Control Stack as “Input Layer 0”, “Input Layer 1”, and so on. It’s also possible to assign a custom name to a video input layer when creating VSE projects from Photoshop® files. Simply assign the layer a name as shown on the lines below:

Input A name = “Stand-up Talent”

or, as another example: Input B name = “PiP”

Add the word “keyable” to a video input layer in a PSD file to enable the Keyable switch on import into VSE. (Failure to use this keyword simply means the layer won't initially have Keyable checked; it does not prevent you from changing the switch setting later in VSE.) Consider some layer name examples:

Input A Keyable

input b name = "Talent" Keyable

input d keyAble name="No Talent"

Note: The "Input x" designation must come first on any input layer. Modifiers such as a custom name or “keyable” can come in any order after that.

I appreciate your response, and all of it's really great information. But it doesn't answer my question!

See attached images.

I just want it to work the way it does on the presets that include the "Insert Image" graphic as part of the virtual set. It replaces the "Insert Image" graphic with whatever image you browse to.

When I name the layer "Input..." whatever, it doesn't replace the "Insert Image" graphic. It keys into the white part of the "Insert Image" graphic.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Insert_Image_Question_small_2.png
    Insert_Image_Question_small_2.png
    245.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Insert_Image_Question_small_3.png
    Insert_Image_Question_small_3.png
    124.3 KB · Views: 84
As I understand, there are a few private functions inside the VSE projects file. Since an end user would be building their own set, I don't think there was a concern about making the insert image function a user accessible feature, as in those cases you would have the ability to edit the original PSD image and change out the image.

Last edited:
Matt and I spent some time on this today, and it turns out that the VSE templates supporting that option were created with the old LightWave LiveSet plugin. But after some pain, we (mostly Matt figured out how to hack the VSE project files to get the same outcome.

Having done so, I have to say that I'm not sold on this feature for most purposes, even setting aside the effort. Why not simply assign a video source to the replaceable zone? Then you can swap it out without ever firing up VSE.

1694746937520.png

One of us will write this up, I expect, but it's late right now. :D

Thanks for your replies kanep and SBowie.

I totally get that you could just assign a video source to the replaceable zone. But my OCD saw a function in the software and would not let me stop wondering why I couldn't access that function!

I eagerly await your write up!

I totally get that you could just assign a video source to the replaceable zone.
The advantage to using a source that's modifiable live is obvious, as you could drive it from a media player or, more likely, a buffer. If Matt doesn't beat me to it, I'll try to write it up on the weekend ... it's kind of a Sunday morning sort of thing. ;)

As Steve mentioned, it looks like the examples you have were exported from the VSE LightWave plugin, which probably had more functionality for setting these up. So this is a bit hacky.

1. Open up the *.lsproj file in a text editor.
  2. Find the "MappingLayerGroup" image you want to be replaceable
  3. Find these entries:
    1. AllowVideo="true"
    2. VideoInput="0"
    3. ProxyName="FullScreenA.png" (name inside the quotes here might be different)
  4. Change to:
    1. AllowVideo="false"
    2. VideoInput="-1"
    3. ProxyName="Name_of_Your_Proxy_File.png" (file needs to be place in the 'Proxy' folder)
That will then look like the attached in VSE. I did have some issues with the proxy image not being shrunk to fit automatically though. It seem flaky.

Attachments

• VSE.png
    VSE.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: KRU
Find the "MappingLayerGroup" ...
Since you may be starting in Photoshop, note that the re-targetable layer initially needs to be labeled as an "Input" layer else after importing it into VSE it won't have a corresponding "MappingLayerGroup" in the VSE project file. containing the flags Matt mentioned that need to be tweaked.

Thanks Matt and SBowie!

I changed the layer name in my Photoshop to an "Input". I opened it in notepad(not being a hacker I didn't even know that was something you could do!) and found the "MappingLayerGroup" for each angle of my virtual set and made the changes as per Matt's post.

When opened in VSE I did get the "Source" option that allowed me to browse to a png file of the logo I wanted to use to replace the "Insert Image" graphic.

Buuuuuuuut..... It's still just keying into the white part of the graphic!

I opened the project file in notepad again to double check that all the changes I made were still there, and they were, so I'm not sure what else to do. Other than just use a regular video input source like you said SBowie. Because, well, that's the better way to do it!

I just kind of got a little obsessed with trying to figure out how to make the "Insert Image" thing work the way it does in the presets.

Thanks again for your replies, they are much appreciated!

Buuuuuuuut..... It's still just keying into the white part of the graphic!
There are a couple of key related variables, maybe see if modifying one or more of those solves your problem (unchecking the "Keyable" switch for the image layer in VSE might do the same thing).

Back