NDI Signal Loss

ngiarrusso

Hello,

I've been working on an ongoing issue with NDI cameras (VC-A71PN) connected to my Tricaster. I am using a TC1 with up to date firmware (7-9-220826) as well as the current firmware for the camera (VC-A71PN Firmware - VCAF108). I am looking to see if this is common behavior for the device or if this is not supposed to happen. Throughout the day (at no specific times) the signal will cut out on the camera. It can be anything from 5 seconds to 30 seconds, sometimes just one camera cuts out, sometimes multiple cameras at once cut out. If you were sitting in front of the Tricaster, you would see an input of a camera just drop to black and then after a few seconds (~3-30 seconds) the signal comes back.

I'm looking to understand NDI and know whether or not this is to be expected. Is there supposed to be interruptions in signal like this? I am used to SDI that is meant to be a solid connection; I don't know enough about NDI to know if it is meant to blink out periodically throughout the day. Any help or a point in the right direction will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

No, the signal should not be dropping. I've been running an inexpensive NDI box camera 24/7 since April, haven't seen this, with the exception of local power outages.

See if there is newer firmware for that camera. The VC-AC71PN is very similar to the NewTek PTZ-UHD camera. There is new firmware for the PTZ-UHD (firmware VCAA111) that fixes an issue like you describe. I'm not sure what Lumens firmware version would be, but this new firmware for the PTZ-UHD came out near the end of October. This issue was specific to this camera model, not to NDI in general.

Otherwise, if they don't have newer firmware out, change the NDI Receive Mode to 'Single TCP' which will fix the issue until they get newer camera firmware released.

I am currently reaching out to my vendor that I purchased the cameras with; the firmware is up to date on the cameras (I suppose I could always try reloading the firmware onto each camera). I believe there may be a defect in the cameras or their installation. In addtition to the signal loss, I've had an issue with cameras settings saving: I have turned off the tally lamp dozens of times and still the setting enables itself. I have made sure I 'save settings' when I change the tally lamp setting, but it always reverts. I will have more information after the 22nd when I have a tech at the location.

I am hoping the issues are both related to the same issues. Thanks to everyone helping on this issue.

If they don't have newer firmware, change the Receive Mode in NDI Access Manager to 'Single-TCP'.

Thank you for the help. I have a technician taking a look tomorrow morning, I am going to hold off on trying anything until they take a look. We have gone back and forth on this issue: they first said they thought the problem was with the camera quality settings (switching from two 4k sources could be causing the issue). Then they said they believed it was the network that was to blame (I purchased a new switch from them to solve the problem).

I will give the Receiver Mode a try in Access Manager as soon as I am able, Thanks again for the input, it is very much appreciated.

Back